Saturday 26 May 2007

Another new way to extract an NGT

Well this one was a ripper.

I was in the middle of taking a few opportunistic photos of my family on a relaxing Saturday morning when Raphael started to cough. After three decent goes at coughing he started to turn the tell tale red of pending up-chuck.

I carefully threw the camera onto a couch and grabbed the nearest chuck cloth. lunging in front of him, I was just in time to catch the unpleasant contents of his stomach as it heaved out of his mouth. But something was different. Apart from the different type of thick lumpy vomit that the Nutrini causes (rather than the Infantrini), there was something else wrong. The NGT tube had formed a loop, I have seen this before when he has managed to vomit the tube out his nose so I grabbed the loop and intended on pulling the tube all the way out. This did not work exactly to plan. Somehow I ended up with the tube still securely taped to his face and the stomach end poking out his mouth. Argh, he had managed to vomit the tube out of his mouth, not his nose.

After cleaning him up we pulled the tube all the way out of his nose. Fortunately the home care nurses have previously offered to come to reinsert Raphael's NGT to save us going to the hospital should he pull it out again. So I have called them and I am now waiting for someone to come to fix him up again.

No comments: