Tuesday 3 April 2007

Four appointments today

The four appointments today were: Gymbaroo, Australian Hearing, Let's Sign and a meeting with Raphael's future primary school principal.

I have talked about Gymbaroo before so I won't elaborate further here.

At today's Australian Hearing appointment, Raphael had another functional hearing test. He was seated on his mother's lap and sounds were played through speakers to his left or right and if he responded by turning towards the sound then he was rewarded with either a puppet in a window or a toy elephant drumming on the other side. The results of the test were the same as previous tests with regards to what volume and pitch he could hear. Ear moulds were then taken of his ears canals for the purposes of fitting hearing aids. He wasn't very keen on having his ears filled up with putty; but I have become quite adept at holding his head still.

Today was the last day of the 4 week Let's Sign course. I am a little disappointed that it is finished but I am very grateful to the teacher who went to the trouble of preparing extra signs just for me and giving me one-on-one help with the signs.

After the Let's Sign course we met up with the state coordinator of ELT (Early Learning Tasmania) and the principal of our local primary school to discuss Raphael and his older siblings in the schools. They are extremely supportive and have seem to have fabulous resources to help educate disabled kids and their families. I felt tears of gratitude well in my eyes when they told me what they thought they would be able to do for Raphael and his older siblings.

No comments: