Wednesday 12 March 2008

Vomit in CPAP

Raphael vomited into his CPAP mask last night and we were lucky to catch it and prevent him from drowning. A number of events conspired against us last night resulting in a near disaster.

Within 15 minutes of putting Raphael to sleep with his CPAP Raphael vomited into his nasal mask and his mouth filled up with vomit to. For some reason he did not sit up or roll over and instead just struggled with no source of air.

The Oximeter alarm went off when his blood oxygen level degraded below 85% but neither my wife nor I reacted to this alarm immediately. I heard the alarm but I was doing some business in the "little boys room" and I expected Annie to go to the alarm. Tonight however we had forgotten to turn on the baby monitor in our lounge room which we need to be able to hear the Oximeter alarm in the lounge room. Our current Oximeter is only monotone and is diffucult to hear in other parts of the house without the baby monitor to relay the alarm sound. In addition to this we get so many "false alarms" that I had become complacent and was happy to complete the task that I was attending to before going to see what was the matter. I was expecting that it was just Raphael having pulled off the Oximeter probe.

As soon as I entered the room though I realized that the problem was much more serious. The room was dark but there was two numbers glowing on the Oximeter his pulse rate and his Blood Oxigen saturation. The pulse rate was on the high end of normal but the other number burned into my eyeballs as 71. Going over to him I turned on the bedside lamp and saw his nasal mask which was full of vomit and his face covered with vomit. He was pulling at his nasal mask trying to take it off and his mouth was opening and closing trying to expel the pool of vomit that was in there.

Yelling out for my wife, I sat him up and ripped off his mask. He sat there for a moment without breathing and then coughed and vomited a lakes worth into the chuck cloth that I grabbed from his bed.

He recovered quickly and after a mop-up and a change of clothes and bedding he was was ready to go back to sleep. Sitting with him on our bed and recovering from the shock, he lent over and gave both of us a gentle stroke on the arm in turn (one of his ways of showing affection). This picked up our spirits immensely.

After we put him back down to sleep I turned the baby monitor on and then called the home care nursing team to let them know of the problem that we had just experienced. They checked with the registrar and were happy with what we had done. We have an appointment with our Paediatrician in two days and mentioned that any aspiration infections will probably start to show around that time so it is important to talk with the doctor then about the incident.

We were lucky that Raphael didn't drown last night.

No comments: