Friday 28 March 2008

Busy day with appointments

I had a hectic day yesterday, but here I will just talk about Raphael's appointments.

In the morning we had a consultation with a physiotherapist with lots of standing and walking practice. Handling uneven ground and very small steps is the next objective for him now. Also we will try throwing objects while standing up. I think we will be able to find a good game of throwing ping-pong balls at each other while standing.

He is confidently walking with a trolley that I hand customized for him. I added swivel wheels to the bottom of a normal child's walking trolley so that he can swing it around on the ground easily. I made it with some old bed wheels which were quite high and I was planning on going to buy some lower ones becuase initially I thought that it would be too unstable. But now looking at it, I am happy that it is not rock solid as it makes him practice his balance skills more and not just lean on the trolley all the time. He loves it and he seems to be walking with it all the time so I am happy that I spent the time on the modifications.

Later in the day we had an ENT appointment to book in his Adenotonsilectomy surgery for May when his normal ENT returns from being away. One of his grommets has probably extruded (fallen out) and is just sitting in his ear canal. Apparently it can take weeks for a grommet to travel down the canal in normal conditions but putting his hearing aids in all the time might be perpetually pushing it back up the canal and not permitting it to fall out by itself. When he is under anaesthetic for his surgery in May they will have a thorough look and see if they can just be taken away they will also look for any more sign of "glue" in his middle ears.

We also had a meeting with a home care nurse about his CPAP mask. It is starting to get too small and it is tricky to get on him at night without obscuring his nostrils. We had tried a larger one but it gave him a big blister on his cheek. We will try taping up his face with soft tape and giving the new mask another go tonight but I am not confident in succeeding with this.

We were also planning to see one of his intensivists but she was stuck in an emergency case so we abandoned that plan and will proceed without the consult until we exhaust our current CPAP ideas.

No comments: