Monday 11 February 2008

Admitted to hospital with pneumonia

Yesterday Raphael didn't eat anything and didn't drink much all day and vomited what he drank. He hasn't been eating anything for a week now and he has been drinking less and less of his formula each day so yesterday when he had practically nothing I thought I should call the paediatric ward and ask them what I should be looking for with dehydration. The head nurse went to ask the registrar and came back with the asnwer "bring him in to DEM (Department of Emergency Medicine) so that the registrar can have a look at him". I wasn't very happy about this, but when I pushed for my original question to be answered the nurse did not respond well so I brought Raphael into Emergency in the hospital.

On arrival to DEM we noticed that it was quite busy. There was a person waiting in front of us with a bucket. She was obviously very unwell and just in case she was contagious, I moved Raphael's pram around to face the other way away from her. At that moment another guy came into emergency, also carrying a bucket. I shuffled Raphael's pram away from him too but became quite sandwiched between these two sick people. After going through the triage desk I was asked to sit in the priority seats but one look at them saw little space between even more people I was beginning to think that I had taken Raphael into hospital just so he could catch another vomiting disease. I sat a short distance away from "vomit row" and sadistically amused myself by noticing that when one of the poor soles vomited others joined in the chorus.

After only 1.5 hours we saw the registrar and his examination showed that Raphael was only mildly dehydrated and he could go home and stay home if his intake improved tomorrow. Before we left though he wanted Raphael to have an x-ray just to make sure that Raphael didn't have a pneumonia. Well and you know the result of this already... he had pneumonia.

Raphael stayed in last night and he was a little better today, they suspect viral pneumonia but are giving him oral antibiotics as a "just in case" measure. He will probably be in for a few days so they can monitor his condition.

No comments: