Thursday 11 May 2006

First ENT visit

Later that same day we visited the ENT. Annie and I carried in our three month, old gurgling like a jack hammer, to the Dr’s office and briefly explained the reason that we had been referred to him. He did a laryngoscopy (sp?) through Raphael’s mouth because his nose was too small for the scope to fit through. Raphael hated it. He sat on my lap with one hand pushing his head back into my chest and the other holding his arms down. Every now and then I had to remind myself to only hold his head firmly and that I didn’t have to squeeze the life out of him with my other arm across his abdomen. This is what fathers are for. Mothers seem have too much heart to torture their sons for a prolonged period of time. After what seemed an eternity the ENT reported that it looked like there was some signs of laryngomalacia but also that he was producing a lot of secretions that were pooling at the back of his throat that he was unable (or unwilling) to clear himself (hence the gurgling sound). He said that all these secretions made it difficult to see what was going on. He recommended a Barium swallow test to try to work out if there was anything basically wrong with his oesophageal plumbing (not the term he used).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i like ur ent ive never heard of a dr who was deaf but itd b good though i reckon my ent was the best and he retired but the one who he has replaced is great to he sees a few chargers and that means he knows what to look for